December 1st - time to start thinking about holiday cookies!
Let's kick things off with these festive little Red Velvet Blossoms. It's amazing - a little red food coloring and peppermint Hershey Kisses add a great pop of color to your holiday cookie platter. Feel free to omit the food coloring or use another flavor Kiss though, if you prefer.
Red Velvet Blossoms
from Cuisine At Home
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon liquid food coloring (I used the entire small bottle)
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
32 peppermint flavored Hershey Kisses, unwrapped and frozen
1. Preheat the oven to 375*. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
3. In second bowl, combine oil and both sugars and beat with a hand mixer until creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg. Mix in the food coloring and vinegar until fully incorporated.
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Scoop 1 to 2 teaspoons of dough onto baking sheets.
6. Bake cookies until puffed and edges are set, 10 to 12 minutes.
7. Remove cookies from the oven and insert a frozen Kiss into each cookie. Let cookies stand on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.