These biscuits were one of the first paleo recipes I ever made. At the time, I was dubious about the paleo diet...though I was starting to get a bit curious. A test batch was quickly whipped up, eaten, and actually enjoyed. So, you could say that these biscuits are what started to change my mind about eating paleo...
I found these to be a darn good substitute for flour-based biscuits and actually less fussy to work with. While they do taste slightly coconutty, it's not overpowering and definitely not a bad thing. Ooh, and they pair really well with breakfast, too!
adapted from Simply Living Healthy
makes 6 to 9 biscuits
1 heaping cup of almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil, cold
6 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 400*. Line large baking sheet with parchment.
2. Whisk together almond flour, baking power, and salt.
3. With a pastry blender or fork, cut the cold coconut oil into flour mixture until crumbly. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, whisk egg whites until very frothy. Fold into chilled flour mixture until well combined.
5. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto baking sheet, smoothing the tops.
6. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
7. Serve warm. Refrigerate any remaining biscuits.